Meet Ann Marie
Ann Marie Maloney spent the last 20 years developing and shaping content, conducting research, and evaluating public policy for state and federal agencies, publishing companies, associations, and private firms. Below are a few examples of her past projects. Let’s put that expertise to work for you.
- Writing and editing blogs, articles, executive communications, web and social media content, presentations, annual reports and marketing copy
- Creating content, video scripts and visuals to simplify complex information and advance organizational goals
- Developing effective strategies and messaging that increase engagement
Policy Analysis/Advocacy Support
- Drafting and analyzing legislation in numerous issue areas and recommending policy adjustments to address concerns from advocates
- Managing controversial issues such as a statewide smoking ban and minimum wage
- Evaluating regulatory programs for effectiveness and offering recommendations that became law
- Interviewing city planners, business owners and stakeholders to tell the story behind the success of an historic preservation tax credit
- Conducting detailed review of statutes and other material to determine the legal landscape for policy issues and provide findings to policy leaders
In addition to the red hair, Ann Marie inherited a love of reading that continues to inspire her to write. Her writing career began at The Enterprise in Southern Maryland, where she reported and broke stories on issues such as land use, transportation, the environment and small business, and won two awards.
Later, Ann Marie successfully managed legislation for the Maryland House Economic Matters Committee, and advised lawmakers in many policy areas, including economic development, tourism, employment, and business regulation. In her work as a reporter and an analyst, she demonstrated her ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and synthesize complex information for readers.
Most recently, as tax communications manager for the world’s largest accounting association, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Ann Marie developed creative ways to educate members and consumers about tax and financial issues, and propelled the association’s blogs to be one of NerdWallet’s top 50 tax blogs for 2017.
Education: Ann Marie earned a bachelor’s degree in English (with a minor in Spanish) at James Madison University and a master’s of public policy at Georgetown University. She also holds a graduate certificate in economic development from Virginia Tech and a graduate certificate in public relations from the University of Maryland University College.
The core beliefs that guide Ann Marie (and AMSquared LLC) are pretty simple:
- Treat people the way the way you’d like to be treated
- Always do your best
- Do the right thing, even when it’s difficult.
Clients can count on honesty, integrity, and a commitment to high standards. Every time.
Giving back to the community is important to Ann Marie. She serves as Communications Director for the Virginia chapter of the American Planning Association and volunteers for groups such as Rural Shelter Transports, which rescues animals and transports them to new homes or shelters that have room. She also fosters shelter animals.
In addition, Ann Marie belongs to several professional associations, including the Editorial Freelancers Association, the Public Relations Society of America, and IEDC, the International Council on Economic Development.